Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program
DBT has been proven to be effective treatment for the following issues and disorders:
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Eating Disorders
- Suicidality and Self-Injurious Behavior
- Substance Abuse
- Difficulty with Interpersonal Relationships
- Impulsive and Risky Behavior
- Pervasive Emotion Dysregulation
Engaging in DBT is a commitment lasting at minimum six (6) months and may take up to one year depending on clinical needs. An intake interview is required to assess if DBT is the appropriate treatment for the individual.
In addition to standard DBT, we offer intensive treatment options that can be completed in a shorter time frame. Intensive DBT may be appropriate for individuals transitioning out of residential treatment or for individuals who wish you proceed through the program at a faster pace. Please contact us for more information.
Treatment targets for DBT include:
- Improve one’s ability to regulate emotions and act wisely
- Eliminate self-harm and suicide attempts as well as self-harm and suicidal urges
- Improve functioning and communication in interpersonal relationships
- Reduce impulsivity, including drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders, and other compulsive behaviors that impair one’s quality of life
- Improve one’s ability to deal with crisis situations more effectively and without the use of destructive behaviors
- Gradually help clients develop a stronger and more integrated sense of self
The DBT Program at The Counseling Group is adherent to Dr. Marsha Linehan’s original treatment model, which is comprised of three elements: Individual therapy, phone coaching and skills training.
1) Individual Therapy: Individual therapy is provided to help clients integrate DBT skills into their lives and solve the problems that cause suffering. A strong collaborative relationship is developed between the client and DBT therapist to most effectively help clients to create a life that is fulfilling and in line with individual values and goals.
2) Phone Coaching: Phone coaching offers a unique opportunity for therapists to help clients use skillful behavior and act effectively in situations outside of the therapy session.
3) Skills Training: Skills training is typically provided in a group setting and can also be completed in individual sessions if necessary. Skills trainers teach clients skills to improve mindfulness, emotion regulation, interpersonal effectiveness and distress tolerance.
4) Consultation Team: A critical component of practicing effective and adherent DBT is Consultation Team. Consultation Team meetings include all DBT therapists and occur weekly to address the following components: (a) therapy for the therapist, (b) case consultation, (c) clinical problem solving, (d) enhancement of clinical skills, (e) burnout reduction, and (f) enhancement of DBT team cohesiveness.
DBT Skills Training for Adults
DBT Skills Training for Adolescents
DBT Skills Training for Adults with Eating Disorders
DBT Partners and Family Skills Training and Support Group
This group offers practical skills, support and guidance for the family members and partners of adults who are in the DBT program.
Advanced DBT Adult Group
Advanced DBT Group for Adults with Eating Disorders
*For More Information regarding group schedule please call our office: 305-857-0050
Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program Director:
Kristin Jones, LMHC
DBT Team Members:
Nicole Blank Koles, Psy.D.
Please contact The Counseling Group at (305) 857-0050 to schedule your intake and orientation interview with one of our DBT therapists. Also visit our Facebook Page for more information and updates about DBT and our program.
Educating our community of professionals and the general public is a mission we have at The Counseling Group. Dialectical Behavior Therapy has been tremendously effective in the lives of our clients and we feel that it is our duty to raise awareness through our DBT Networking Breakfasts & DBT Workshops.
These events are catered to professionals in that are looking for “an inside look” at our program. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet with other professionals in the community as well as our team. We provide a complimentary breakfast, presentation and “live reenactment” of a ‘Coaching Call’.
DBT Training with The Linehan Institute – Behavioral Tech on Jan 2017:
This training was the first in Miami and was held at The University of Miami’s Newman Alumni Center. We feel honored to have been able to co-host this event with the institution that created DBT. Attendees from all over the world had the opportunity to experience a 2 day Level II training on DBT Fundamental Skills.
To learn more about our upcoming events, groups and program updates. Sign up here to receive future TCG News and Invites! We look forward to seeing you!
Take the first step. Contact us now.
Inquiries can also be made by e-mail or with the secure form above. If this is an emergency, please call 911 or immediately go to the nearest emergency room.
The Counseling Group
Monday9AM - 8:30PM
Tuesday9AM - 8:30PM
Wednesday9AM - 8:30PM
Thursday9AM - 8:30PM
Friday9AM - 5:00PM